Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My life as a mom...

So it has been a little over a week since I have been a full time mom. Intersting I must say. It feels like I have just called in sick for a week, and that I will be going back to work any day now. (crazy I know..)

Gabi has become very attached, I think she feels I am going to leave her for a few hours like I used to do so I could go to work. Hopefully she will settle down. The other day I found that Tellytubbies were on TV. Gabi was fussy and so I put her in her swing to watch. She loved it. She almost watched the entire show. I was pretty shocked. Which brings me to this question. How much TV is too much TV for a kid?

In our house it seems like the TV is on ALL THE TIME. Especially when we are home. It is a constant background noise. I don't like that and would like it on only when we have shows that we want to watch. I would rather have music playing or a book on tape. Jack says that he needs to have the TV on when he gets home to relax and he likes to watch right before he goes to sleep. (That is a post for another day though)

What are your views on TV and kids or just TV in general?

3 comments:

Audrey said...

There are some days where the TV doesn't even get turned on at our house. However, I grew up with the TV on all the time. My grandma is a lot like Jack in that she loves to watch the news.
I don't like TV for my kids. I do let Ryanna watch about an hour a day. She gets to pick one movie each day, but on busy days, she gets no movie and she doesn't seem to even mind. I think that it's a default option a lot of time.
According to the "experts" kids shouldn't have any TV before age 2, but I think that's a bit extreme myself. I think that we moms need breaks now and then and I don't mind letting her watch a show if I need an hour to do something. I don't make it a common habit though.
I can't get Owen to watch TV. At about Gabi's age he loved the Baby Einstein series, but he doesn't want to watch it anymore and nothing else interests him. He wants to be outside playing.
Derek and I don't like most of what's on TV and he didn't grow up watching any, so he really isn't a fan of having it on. I'm with you, I like music in the background.
Sorry this is so long. Those are pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

Laurel said...

I guess that I my thoughts are similar to Audrey's. I don't turn on the tv at all during the day (I will probably resort to movies once Sadie will watch them, but a limit of one is probably healthy.) Chris and I feel like the tv sucks us when we turn it on. If we turn it on just to surf, we can waste hours at a time watching shows we don't even like. Chris is similar to Jack, in that he likes to watch tv to relax, but we usually limit it to an hour or so. We each have one or two favorite shows during the week and try to limit tv time to just that. Although Chris says that he likes the tv to relax, there are times when he will go a week or so without watching tv, and I think that he is actually more relaxed then.

steveandjonelle said...

So. . . my response is probably going to sound really lame, but the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no TV watching until the child is two years old. Studies have correlated early TV watching to delayed language development. However, will my child watch TV before they are 2 probably. Did I watch TV before I was two, definitely, and my language skills were great. Just giving you more information. Hope all is well. -Jonelle